Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Winter Weather!

At last we have some winter weather. Unfortunately we don't have snow we have about a quarter of an inch of ice. I wanted to take a picture to post but it never got pretty outside.

There have been several accidents and sadly a few fatalities from this storm. However we have not lost power.

I spent yesterday doing chores and cooking. I'll be doing more of the same things today. I hope I'll be able to return to work tomorrow.

I've been reading "50 Harbor Road" by Debbie Macomber. It's been very entertaining. Normally I don't read romance novels but I find her characters charming and real. It makes for nice change of pace.

Today I plan to make a meatloaf with Au gratin potatoes and chocolate pound cake. This is an old fashioned recipe my mom makes. I make it when I can get the cake mix and instant pudding on sale or with a coupon. My husband asks for this cake because it's dense and moist and travels well in his lunchbox.

Mom's Chocolate Pound Cake

Your favorite chocolate cake mix
1 small box of chocolate instant pudding
4 large eggs
1/2 cup oil-I prefer canola but I have used olive oil with good results
1 cup of water
Dump the cake and pudding mix in a mixing bowl. Add the oil and the water. mix on low until combined.
Add the eggs one at a time ( i never crack eggs directly into my cooking because then if you have a bad egg your entire dish is ruined) until incorporated. Beat on high until smooth and glossy (2 Minutes or so)
Pour into a greased bundt pan that's been dusted with flour or a bit of the cake mix or some cocoa. bake a6t 350 degrees until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean (about 35-40minutes). Cool before removing from pan. Enjoy!

No comments: