Saturday, January 10, 2009

We are having another rain event. I hope this is not going to be a pattern for the rest of the year. While I appreciate the rain I don't want to have it every weekend.
My husband is on service call this week and he had a busy morning. Folks will wait until Monday if their air conditioner goes down but their furnace is another matter. This is especially true for older folks or families with babies or young children. They cannot do with out heat.
DH says that most of the problems he sees could be eliminated by routine maintenance. It's sad. You know the people aren't doing the maintenance because they can't afford it with the high cost of fuel. And you know they can't afford the repairs either.
I took it easy today, Wet weather makes my arthritis feel worse. I washed up our bed and cooked lunch and supper. I tidied the kitchen and swished and swiped the main bathroom.
I spent the rest of the day reading a book. I finished _Back on Blossom Street_by Debbie Macomber. I usually read mysteries so this book was a nice change of pace. It's a story of four women who are friends in a small town. The story chronicles how their relationships deepen and grow as each of the women face a personal crises. The book was easy to read and entertaining. I could identify with the characters. So I would recommend it to my friends. I borrowed this book from the local library.
Tonight I ordered some seed catalogs. I ordered four or five of them. I can hardly wait until they arrive.
I want to try starting some of my own seedlings this year. I read a really interesting post at_The Simple Green Frugal Co-op_ on this very topic.
This is new uncharted territory for me. I already have some of the equipment( shop lights, old tables, a willing husband and a desire to learn) so it's a matter of deciding what plants I want to try to start and ordering the seeds.
I know there will be work involved but it will be pleasurable work. There is such satisfaction is watching things go. It's a miracle we're privileged to experience.
I love flowers and I love fresh vegetables. We had a small garden last year. It was our first summer here in this house. I planted a few flowers along the walk and by the mailbox. We had a nice crop of green beans and tomatoes. The snap dragons, pansies and petunias did well.
I need to make a graph of the yard and plan my beds. We have a small corner lot . The main problem is the multiple pine trees. We have a lot of shade in the summer.
While there are many beautiful shade loving flowers you need sun to grow vegetables.
I'm excited about the possibilities. I can smell the honeysuckle and see the tomatoes ripening on the vine. I can hardly wait!

No comments: