Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Recipe- Chicken Pot Pie

It's colder today here in the valley. The western slopes of the Appalachian Mountains are getting some snow but we're just feeling the cold.
It's a good day to wear my flannel pajama pants and stay in where it's warm!

I'm trying to get our home office in order. I can only work a little at a time. When I start to hurt I have to sit down. I also have to be on guard not to get distracted by the computer.
I love to Blog hop and I also like to play free cell. So I have to be very disciplined in order to get anything done.

I'm having leftover homemade chicken soup for lunch.

I'm thinking chicken pot pie for supper.
Here's how I make it:
Cut leftover chicken into cubes
Finely chop onions, celery and carrots. Saute in two tablespoons of butter until softened.Add a small bag of frozen mixed veggies and cook through Be sure to add salt and pepper. I also like to add poultry seasoning.
Make a white sauce with 4 TBSP of butter, 4 TBSP of flour. 2 cups chicken broth.
Combine the chicken, the sauteed veggies, and white sauce
Add 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream
Pour into baking dish
Top with pie crust--You can use like a Pillsbury ready made crust--I use a store brand that's $2 cheaper and works great. No one knows the difference. Of course you can always make your own pastry.
Brush the pie crust with a little egg wash so it will brown nicely. Bake at 375 for 45minutes to 1 hour or until the crust is golden brown and the inside is hot and bubbly.

Note- instead of making a sauce you can substitute a can of cream of celery and a can of cream of chicken soup. You would add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sour cream. I like to make my own so I can control the amount of salt in my cooking.

No comments: