Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rain and more rain!


It's a really rainy weekend here in the valley. We started out with snow on Friday but it changed over to rain last night. According to the National Weather Service we're in for another two to three days of gray skies.

I don't mean to complain. I know we need the rain ( we're actually 2.5 inches below normal rainfall for the year to date). I want us to have adequate moisture . I'm hoping for a good harvest.

We're looking to get our garden plowed and worked up in the next week or so. I've diagrammed what we need to plant and where we need to plant it. I want to put in some yellow onion sets and also some cabbage plants. I really like the Stone Head variety of cabbage. It's a very firm tightly compacted cabbage with light green leaves. I also want to sow some spinach.

When planting a garden it's important to plant what you like to eat. I remember when my kids were little. DH was putting in the onions and our young cousin was helping. They finished up around suppertime. When they came in to wash up, the little guy informed me he had helped plant carrots. DH said no son they were onions to which the child replied I don't like onions! You'll see , we'll have carrots there real soon!
Of course we planted a row of carrots beside the onions. LOL!

Now we grow onions, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, peppers, tomatoes, green beans, cantaloupe, butternut squash, a few Halloween pumpkins, zucchini, red beets, cucumbers and various herbs. This year I want to try growing leeks, fennel and garlic. DH says I've been watching The Food Network too much!

I'm working on getting my seedlings going. I have cucumbers, Brandywine tomatoes. Mr. Stripey tomatoes, Ambrosia Cantaloupe, Flat leaf Parsley and Basil. I ned to get my Jack o' Lantern pumpkins going too.

My next job will be to graph out my flower bed along the front walk. So many flowers . So little space.

..photo & copy; James Jones for openphoto.net CC:Attribution-ShareAlike

No comments: