Friday, November 21, 2008

Leftovers

What do we do with all the leftovers from the Thanksgiving feast?
First I try to send as much home with the guests as possible. It's only my husband and myself and we'd get tired of eating the same old dinner for days at a time.
I do make soup with some of the leftover turkey. This recipe is from "Country Home Cooking in the Shenandoah Valley." by Marjorie Roher. It's very similar to what I make except it has the measurements.I tend to not measure unless I'm baking.

Thanksgiving Turkey Soup
1 leftover turkey carcass
2 medium onions
2 stalks celery diced
1/2 stick butter
2 large carrots
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp marjoram
1 Tbsp chicken base 1 cup flour 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 cups half and half

Put turkey bones in a large kettle and cover with water. Simmer over medium heat for an hour. Remove carcass and set aside.
Boil broth down to approximately 3 quarts.
Saute onions and celery in butter
Add to large kettle and bring to a boil
Add carrots, seasoning and rice
While your soup simmers pick any meat from the turkey carcass.Add into soup.
Shake the cream and flour together ;stir into soup when rice is tender. cook several minutes mere' Adjust seasoning to taste and serve. Makes 1 gallon

Notes:
If you don't want to pick up the bones just add in some leftover turkey you've diced up.
I use chicken stock instead of water.
You could add peas and potatoes and omit the cream sauce if you like. I have done this.
I have also used barley instead of rice. Again no cream sauce when i use the barley.

No comments: