Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Frugal Upstate has asked for favorite family side dish recipes for Thanksgiving. I've done done the Mr. Linky thing before but here we go;

Broccoli Casserole
1 12 oz container of frozen broccoli or 1 and 1/2 cups of steamed fresh broccoli
1 small onion chopped
1/2 cup celery chopped fine
1 tablespoon butter 8 oz cheese ( my mm likes Velveeta but my husband prefers sharp)
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
5oz can of evaporated milk ( NOT SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK)
3 cups of cooked rice
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute celery, onion and broccoli in the butter for 3-5 minutes
Stir in the cheese milk and soup until smooth
Place the rice in a greased casserole (an 8 inch square casserole dish works perfectly)
Pour the cheese mixture over the rice. Do not stir.
Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Note--I triple this recipe for my family. I some times substitute sour cream for the evaporated milk,

No comments: