Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Baby it's cold outside! The temperature dropped to 21 degrees last night and we awoke to a heavy frost. We are supposed to have below normal temps today.
This is a good day to make soup. I'm thinking homemade vegetable soup, hot bread and apple crisp for supper. I like to make Ina Gartens' pear apple crisp. It's really easy and you can do any combination of fruit you like. I don't have any pears today so I'll throw in some dried cranberries. The crisp is especially good with tart apples. However all I have are some Gala apples so that's what I'll use. My husband loves this served warm with cream.
Plus the house will smell fantastic!
Yesterday I planned our Thanksgiving meal. We will have Roast Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry salad , green beans, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, pickled beets and corn. We will also have dip with fancy crackers and a tray of fresh cut up veggies. For dessert we will have red velvet cake, pumpkin pie, chocolate meringue pie and pumpkin trifle. There will be iced tea, coffee and a fruit punch to drink as well as cold water. I'll probably make the turkey and fixings . The rest of the family will bring the sides.
I need to purchase a paper table cloth for the kids' table. I want to have coloring pages for them also. And I need to find a prayer.
During the meal we go round the table and each of us will tell what we're thankful for. Afterward we'll probably talk a bit about Christmas.
Today I want to say I'm thankful for good friends, adorable grand kids and our servicemen and woman who sacrifice so much to keep us free. May Gog bless them!

1 comment:

D Wright said...

Jan Karon invites you to visit her website at www.mitford.com. I know you will enjoy the site!