Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Saturday

It's the weekend and it's calling for snow.Dan and I decided to go grocery shopping just in case.
Seems like everyone else had the same idea. The store was packed. I wonder why we all get the urge to stock up when we hear bad weathers coming. Does it go back to our caveman ancestors and their survival instincts?
I picked up the movie 3:10 to Yuma while we were out. Dan loves western movies and I had a gift card i needed to use. We'll probably watch it tomorrow.
When we got home Dan had to go to work.I did some cleaning an organizing while he was gone. I decided to make taco soup for supper. It is easy as well as warm and filling on a cold day.
To make the soup I brown lean ground turkey with diced onions and celery that I cooked in a tablespoon of olive oil. Sometimes i throw in a half of green pepper if I have it. When it's nicely cooked I add a packet of taco seasoning. Then I pour 2 cans of rinsed kidney beans, 2 cans of tomatoes with green chilies and a can of diced tomatoes.into a large pot. I can my own tomatoes and I use a pint jar of diced tomatoes. I also add a cup of corn. I use frozen because that's what I have but canned would work as well. I add the meat and simmer for about 30 minutes. I also add a handful of chili powder and cumin. I serve with taco chips and grated Cheese on top. Dan likes to add a few red pepper flakes to his bowl. He really likes it spicy.

No comments: