Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reflecting


I had a bad time with my arthritis this past week. I had to spend a lot of time just sitting or lying around. The doctor had ordered me to stay off my feet until the medicine had time to take effect.

I had a lot of time to reflect upon things. I thought about Christmas. Somehow I always think Christmas should be a problem free time. Yet if I look at that first Christmas it was anything but problem free. Mary had to ride at least 100 miles on a donkey or walk some of the way while heavily pregnant. There was no where for them to stay and the winter nights were bitterly cold. She gave birth in a barn -probably a cave and had to lay her baby in a manger! That baby was God's son! How can I expect any different for me?

What if part of the message of those circumstances is that God sends us light into our darkness. He sends us love and miracles in the midst of our chaos. No matter how many things are wrong or go wrong he is still there and still offering his gift to us.

And what a gift it is!

I thought about last year. Like any family we had our good and bad times. I like to think there were more good times than bad. I lost my mom. My husband and I lost his dad. Our oldest son lost his job last summer and has not been able to find another. His marriage is in trouble due to financial issues.

However all fourteen grand kids are healthy. Most of them are doing well in school. My daughter-in- law has a good job. My youngest son is self employed. By God's grace he has enough work to provide for his family. Husband and I both have steady jobs.

I've found a church that teaches the Bible. The members are welcoming.

Tyler visits Mom-maw every Saturday.

2010 was an okay year.

What about this new year? The new year is fraught with possibilities.

What will I change as i go forward? What will I keep?

I want to address some of my health issues. I don't make resolutions but I am going to jot down some goals. What I want to happen and what small steps I can take to ensure something happens.

I think it's better to have a few goals and be able to accomplish something than have too many and accomplish nothing.

An old Chinese proverb says a journey begins with a single step. What step are you willing to take?

Photo credit-open photo.com

No comments: